Ah the ocean: the salty air, the sound of waves, the warm sand, and of course the seagulls trying to snatch up your snacks.
If the hoards of people eager to make the ocean their getaway this year were enough to make you say heccckkkkk no corona central, this one's for you friend.
First let's set the mood:
Of course to go with our beachy vibes we need a fun drink. We made these blueberry mojitos but with gin, since we are gin people and Hendrick's summer solstice gin seemed like the perfect fit for this drink (it was). Not an ad, just a bit snobby and definitely a recommendation. Also, we wanted something blue... and this isn't necessarily blue but I didn't want to be drinking blue dye. Yuck.
For real, this drink was easy, would be good with any clear liquor, is super refreshing AND could w/out alcohol and still be wonderful.
If you've got kiddos around try the mojito sans alc OR here is a copycat for Sonic's Ocean Water.
Ok so you've got your drinks, your candle, and your background music, now grab your fave brand of fish-shaped crackers and some Smart Sweet's fish (not an ad, just a woman-owned biz we like a lot), and get ready for some...
For this game you need just you, but at least one friend would be nice (the more the merrier).
There are 3 rounds of 10 questions with answers at the bottom. None are inappropriate for kiddos, but we think Round 1 & 3 might be the most fun for them. Answers at the end. Enjoy!
Round 1: Ocean Facts
1. Which ocean animal has been around for more than 500 million and up to 650 million years? (more than one answer excepted)
2. How many lightbulbs can an Electric Eels electricity power?
3. What aquatic animal has 3 hearts and blue blood?
4. What percentage of the Earth is covered in salt water?
5. What percentage of volcanic activity occurs in oceans?
6. Which two fish are the fastest in the ocean?
7. What is the largest animal on the planet?
8. How many tons of trash are estimated to be in the ocean?
9. Where is the heart of the shrimp located in its body?
10. Which oceanic animal can live the longest?
Round 2: Pop Culture with a Beachy Twist
1. What celebrity famously said, in 2003, "Is this chicken, what I have or is this fish? I know It's tuna but it says 'Chicken by the Sea.'
a. Brittany Spears b. Jessica Simpson c. Mandy Moore
2. What year was the surf rock band, The Beach Boys, started?
3. Who was the lead actor in the iconic television show Baywatch?
4. Who is the young Swedish environmental campaigner who traveled to the United Stated on a zero-emissions sailboat in 2019?
5. What is the largest/ most famous sailboat race in the world? BONUS: Where is it located?
6. What celebrity owns the largest yacht?
7. What musical group sings the song "I'm On a Boat"?
8. Where is the largest Aquarium in the United States?
9. Who voiced Dory in the Disney Pixar movie Finding Nemo?
10. Who directed the classic horror/thriller Jaws?
Round 3: Riddles
1. What is the healthiest kind of water?
2. What do you call a rich fish?
3. If you drop a yellow hat in the Red Sea, what does it become?
4. What has holes all around, but can still hold water?
5. What would we get if we threw all the books in the ocean? (a terrible idea, but a funny riddle I promise)
6. What does the sand say when the tide comes in?
7. What did the sea say to the sand?
8. What did one tide pool say to the other tide pool?
9. Where do mummies go for a swim?
10. You can see me in the water, but I never get wet. What am I?
1. Jellyfish or Sea Sponges
3. an octopus
4. 72% (70% also accepted)
6. Swordfish and Marlins
7. Blue Whale
8. 269,000 tons
9. its head
10. Bowhead whale
3. David Hasselhoff
4. Greta Thunberg
5. Kieler Woche (Kiel Week), Germany
6. Tiger Woods (sorry we don't like this answer either)
7. The Lonely Island
8. Atlanta or Georgia
9. Ellen Degeneres
10. Steven Spelberg
1. Well water
2. A goldfish!
4. a sponge
5. a TITLE wave
6. Long time no sea!
7. Nothing it just waved
8. Show me your mussels
9. To the Dead Sea
10. a reflection
Hope to SEA you tomorrow for our next installment of The Explorers Edition indoors!